Pork chops & cauliflower grits
Unsalted chicken broth
1¼ cup(s), divided
1 clove(s), peeled and smashed
Raw lean bone-in center rib pork chop or roast
16 oz, two 8-oz chops
1 tsp, or more to taste
½ tsp, or more to taste
1 Tbsp, divided
Unpacked brown sugar
3 cup(s), grated (from 1⁄2 medium head)
Low fat cream cheese
2 oz, (Neufchâtel), cut into pieces
- In medium saucepan, bring 1 cup broth, bay leaf, and garlic to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat. Simmer broth until flavors infuse, 5 to 10 minutes.
- While broth is simmering, pat pork chops dry with paper towel. Sprinkle flour on both sides of meat, then press to adhere flour. Season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- In medium skillet, melt 1⁄2 tbsp butter over medium heat and swirl to coat pan. Add pork chops and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate. Add coffee and remaining 1⁄4 cup broth to pan and stir, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add remaining 1⁄2 tbsp butter and sugar and stir until melted. Return pork chops with any juices to gravy in pan. Reduce heat to low. Cover with lid slightly ajar and cook, stirring occasionally, until gravy thickens and pork chops are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add cauliflower to simmering broth and increase heat to high. Cook cauliflower until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain cauliflower. Discard bay leaf and return cauliflower to saucepan. Off heat, add cream cheese and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve pork chops and gravy with cauliflower.
- Serving size: 1 pork chop and 1⁄2 cup cauliflower grits