Plum-Spice Upside Down Cake
- Total Time
Sweet, juicy plums make this light gingerbread cake a feast for both the eyes and the appetite.
butter flavour cooking spray1 spray(s)
plum(s)9 item(s), small, sliced (unpeeled)
dark brown sugar⅓ cup(s)
reduced-calorie margarine½ cup(s)
egg white(s)1 large
vanilla extract1 tsp
SPLENDA® Sucralose sweetener (Splenda®)1 cup(s)
all-purpose flour1 cup(s)
baking powder1 tsp
baking soda½ tsp
ground cinnamon2 tsp
ground ginger1 ½ tsp
powdered sugar1 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray. Spread plums in pan, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat together remaining brown sugar and margarine until creamy. Beat in egg, egg white and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl, for 1 minute. Beat in Splenda at medium speed for 1 minute.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger. Stir into egg batter and beat at low speed for 30 seconds to mix (batter will be thick); gently spoon batter over plums, spreading with back of spoon.
- Bake cake until sides begin to pull away from pan and cake is light golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside 30 minutes.
- Place a large platter over pan and invert cake onto platter. Dust with powdered sugar and cut into 9 squares.