Peppers stuffed with herbed ground turkey and rice
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
4 item(s), medium, any color
1 large, finely chopped, divided
3 medium clove(s), finely chopped, divided
¼ cup(s), finely chopped
1 Tbsp, finely chopped
Canned crushed tomatoes
15 oz, divided
Uncooked white rice
Uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
1 tsp, (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking dish just large enough to hold peppers with cooking spray.
- Slice tops off peppers; reserve tops. Carefully remove seeds and ribs from peppers; trim a thin sliver off bottoms if peppers don’t stand upright (being careful not to cut through into cavity).
- To make filling, in a large mixing bowl, combine half the onion, half the garlic, parsley, dill, 1/4 c tomatoes, rice, turkey, 3/4 tsp salt, and black pepper; set aside.
- To make sauce, in a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add remaining onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add remaining garlic; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Stir in remaining tomato, remaining 1/4 tsp salt, and water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low; simmer 1 minute.
- Loosely stuff peppers with filling (leaving enough room for rice to expand – about 3/4 c in each) and nestle peppers in baking dish; replace pepper tops. Spoon tomato sauce around peppers in baking dish.
- Cover dish tightly with foil; bake until peppers are tender and rice is cooked, 75-90 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper and 1/2 c sauce