- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 4 item(s), medium uncooked bell pepper(s), any color
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), finely chopped, divided
- 3 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), finely chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 15 oz canned crushed tomatoes, divided
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked white rice
- 3/4 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp table salt, (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup(s) water
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking dish just large enough to hold peppers with cooking spray.
Slice tops off peppers; reserve tops. Carefully remove seeds and ribs from peppers; trim a thin sliver off bottoms if peppers don’t stand upright (being careful not to cut through into cavity).
In a large mixing bowl, combine half the onion, half the garlic, parsley, dill, 1/4 c tomatoes, rice, turkey, 3/4 tsp salt, and pepper to make filling.
In a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add remaining onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add remaining garlic; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Stir in remaining tomato, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 1 minute.
Loosely stuff peppers with filling (leaving enough room for rice to expand – about 3/4 c in each) and nestle peppers in baking dish; replace pepper tops. Spoon tomato sauce around peppers in baking dish.
Cover dish tightly with foil; bake until peppers are tender and rice is cooked, 75 to 90 minutes.
Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper and 1/2 c sauce