Penne with Sweet Bell Peppers 2
- Total Time
uncooked penne¾ pound(s)
olive oil2 tsp
uncooked bell pepper(s)1 item(s), medium, (1 large), red variety, chopped
uncooked bell pepper(s)1 item(s), medium, (1 large), yellow variety, chopped
uncooked onion(s)1 small, chopped
garlic clove(s)3 medium clove(s), minced
canned crushed tomatoes28 oz, (1 can)
table salt½ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
basil¼ cup(s), fresh, chopped, plus additional leaves for garnish, if desired
grated Parmigiano-Reggiano3 Tbsp
- Cook penne according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Add pasta to skillet and cook just until heated through, about 2 minutes, adding reserved pasta water, a few tablespoons at a time, as needed to moisten. Remove from heat and stir in chopped basil.
- Divide pasta evenly among 6 bowls and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Garnish with basil leaves, if using.
- Per serving (about 1 cup pasta, ½ cup sauce, and 1½ teaspoons cheese)