- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 medium green pepper(s), cut into thin strips
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) fresh mushroom(s), sliced
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 pound(s) uncooked turkey sausage(s), spicy-Italian flavor
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cup(s) cooked whole wheat pasta, penne, kept hot
- 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, onion, mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender, about 7 to 8 minutes.
Remove turkey from casings; add turkey to skillet and brown until no longer pink, stirring occasionally, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 6 minutes. Add red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper and oregano; stir in tomatoes. Simmer until heated through and to allow flavors to blend, about 5 minutes.
Spoon penne into a deep serving bowl; top with sausage mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- During busy weeknights, streamline the preparation using frozen bell pepper strips or frozen diced bell pepper strips and onions.Use a high quality Parmesan cheese for maximum flavor. Just a small amount can completely transform your favorite Italian recipes.