Peach and cornbread trifle
10 medium, pitted and thinly sliced (about 2 ¼ lbs)
¾ cup(s), toasted, divided
¼ cup(s), divided
Packed light brown sugar
Whole wheat pastry flour
¾ cup(s), fine ground-variety
1% low-fat buttermilk
2 item(s), large
Vanilla lowfat Greek yogurt
Light whipped topping
3 cup(s), thawed if frozen
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 8- X 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together peaches, 1/2 cup pecans, 2 tbsp honey, sugar, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together pastry flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Stir in buttermilk, water, eggs, remaining 2 tbsp honey, oil, and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared baking dish; smooth into an even layer. Bake cornbread until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool and then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Fold yogurt into whipped topping.
- In a 9-inch trifle dish, place half of cornbread; top with half of peaches and 1 cup topping mixture. Layer with remaining cornbread, peaches, and topping mixture; garnish with remaining pecans. Refrigerate for 30 minutes; serve chilled.
- Serving size: 1/12th of trifle