Pan-Seared Summer Squash with Spiced Lemon Vinaigrette
- Total Time
This recipe by Virginia Willis, originally published in Secrets of the Southern Table, has been modified for Weight Watchers with permission.
yellow summer squash1 pound(s), small variety
uncooked zucchini1 pound(s), small variety
lemon zest1 Tbsp, (zest of 1 lemon)
fresh lemon juice1 ½ Tbsp, (juice of 1/2 lemon)
extra virgin olive oil2 Tbsp
garlic clove(s)3 medium clove(s), mashed to a paste with
table salt1 pinch
harissa paste1 tsp, or chile paste (or to taste)
ground cumin¼ tsp
kosher salt½ tsp, (or to taste)
black pepper⅛ tsp, freshly ground (or to taste)
fresh parsley2 Tbsp, chopped
- Trim squash; use a chef ’s knife to quarter each one lengthwise. Using tip of your knife, trim away seeds (the seeds can make the dish watery). Cut squash into 1-in pieces.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Without crowding, add squash to dry skillet; cook, stirring often, until lightly blistered on both sides and tender to the point of a knife, 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl or jar with a lid, combine lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, garlic, harissa and cumin to make dressing. Stir or shake to combine; season with salt and pepper.
- Place squash in a large bowl and drizzle some dressing over top; toss to coat and combine, and add more as needed. Sprinkle with parsley; serve.
- Serving size: rounded ¾ c