Sweet red pepper(s)
4 large, green, and/or yellow bell peppers, stems still attached
¼ tsp, threads
½ pound(s), sweet Italian links, casings removed
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 medium, chopped
2 large clove(s), minced
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
Uncooked white rice
¾ cup(s), short-grain
1 medium, seeded and chopped
2 oz, drained
¼ tsp, freshly ground
Frozen green peas
½ cup(s), baby
- Half-fill a wok or large, deep skillet with water; bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, cut off the tops of the bell peppers and reserve. Cut out the ribs and remove the seeds from the peppers. Put the peppers and their tops in the boiling water. Cook, covered, just until tender, about 4 minutes, turning the peppers over after 2 minutes. Remove the peppers with tongs and drain on paper towels. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the hot water to a cup and stir in the saffron. Pour out the remaining water from the skillet; wipe the skillet dry.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with spoon, until very lightly browned, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a paper towel to drain.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is golden, 7–10 minutes. Add the broth, rice, tomato, pimientos, salt, pepper, and saffron water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid, about 20 minutes. Stir in the sausage and peas, then let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Fill the peppers with the rice mixture and replace the pepper tops. Stand the peppers in an 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with foil and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Yields 1 stuffed pepper per serving.