Oxtail and root vegetable stew
Olive oil cooking spray
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
1⅞ cup(s), 1 (14 1/2-ounce can)
Uncooked beef oxtails
1 pound(s), meaty, trimmed
Uncooked lean trimmed boneless chuck steak
1 pound(s), cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
3 medium, finely chopped
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
½ cup(s), chopped
1 medium, chopped
1 large clove(s), minced
1½ tsp, chopped, or 3/4 teaspoon dried
14½ oz, (1 can) whole tomatoes in juice, broken up, juice reserved
5⅓ fl oz, (2/3 cup), dry
½ pound(s), halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch chunks
Uncooked sweet potato(es)
½ pound(s), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Spray large Dutch oven with olive oil nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Sprinkle oxtails and beef with ½ teaspoon of salt. Cook oxtails and beef, in batches, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch, transferring meat to plate as it is browned.
- Spray Dutch oven with nonstick spray and reduce heat to medium. Add carrots, fennel, and onion; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender, 8–10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir tomatoes with their juice, broth, wine, oxtails, beef, remaining ¾ teaspoon salt, and the pepper into vegetable mixture; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until oxtails and beef are fork-tender, 1½–2 hours. With slotted spoon, transfer oxtails to plate and let cool slightly (leave beef in pot).
- Stir parsnips and sweet potato into stew; simmer, covered, until potato is fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove meat from oxtail bones; discard bones. Stir oxtail meat into stew and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes longer. Skim off and discard any surface fat from stew before serving.
- Per serving: about 1 cup