Orange Passover sponge cake with raspberry sauce
Matzo cake meal
12 large, separated
Fresh orange juice
2 tsp, finely chopped
⅓ cup(s), raspberry-variety
Unsweetened frozen raspberries
1 cup(s), or fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift matzo cake meal with potato starch over a large bowl; sift again and set aside.
- In a large bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer on high power, whip egg whites until stiff and glossy; set aside.
- In another large bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer on high power, whip egg yolks with sugar until light and satiny; add orange juice and zest and blend well.
- Fold egg whites into yolk mixture until just blended. Sift in matzo cake meal mixture; fold delicately to combine. Carefully pour batter into a 10-inch, 2-piece ungreased angel food cake pan with feet or a sponge cake pan.
- Bake until center of cake springs back to the touch, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool cake completely in pan. (If you do not have a pan with feet, invert pan over a wine or beer bottle.)
- Meanwhile, to make topping, heat raspberry preserves in a small saucepan over low heat and toss in raspberries; mix well.
- When cake is completely cool, run a sharp knife around the outside and inside rings of the tube pan to loosen cake; transfer to a serving plate. Slice into 16 pieces and drizzle each slice with sauce just before serving. Yields 1 slice of cake and about 1 tablespoon of sauce per serving.