Mushroom-barley soup with red miso
Dried shiitake mushroom(s)
2 cup(s), boiling
3 medium, sliced
1 medium, finely chopped
3 medium clove(s), minced
1 Tbsp, grated
Uncooked pearl barley
6 cup(s), or mushroom broth
Uncooked bok choy
½ pound(s), halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
3 Tbsp, red variety
Fresh lemon juice
4 medium, dark-green parts only, sliced
- Place mushrooms in large glass measure or bowl and add boiling water. Let soak until mushrooms are softened, about 20 minutes. With slotted spoon, lift mushrooms out of water; reserve liquid. Chop mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, just until fragrant, about 30 seconds longer.
- Stir barley and mushrooms into Dutch oven; pour in reserved mushroom liquid, pouring carefully so that any grit in bottom of cup is left behind. Stir in broth and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in bok choy and simmer until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes longer.
- Whisk together miso and 1 cup hot broth from pot in small bowl until smooth. Stir into soup along with lemon juice. Serve sprinkled with scallions.
- Serving size: about 1 1/2 cups