Mushroom-barley burgers with horseradish cream
SmartPoints® value per serving
1 hr 5 min
Look out frozen veggie burgers, you've got some competition. These vegetarian patties are made with portobello mushrooms, barley, and sage. The mushrooms are first browned to build flavor and cook out their moisture. They then go into the food processor along with the cooked barley, sage, and an egg that helps bind the patties. But the patties will still be a little delicate, which is why we call for chilling them before they are broiled. While we’ve ditched the bun for this dish, you can top them with traditional burger toppings like tomatoes or pickles, if you like. The horseradish cream offers a pungent, spicy complement to the burgers, but if you’re not a fan of horseradish, mix your favorite herbs into the sour cream.
Uncooked pearl barley
1½ pound(s), caps, sliced
1 large egg(s)
Fat free sour cream
1 Tbsp, or to taste
- Combine barley and 2 1/4 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Set pan over high heat, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and cook until all liquid is absorbed and barley is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook until mushrooms are tender and all liquid evaporates, about 5 to 7 minutes; transfer mushrooms to a food processor or large bowl.
- When barley is finished cooking, add to food processor with mushrooms; add egg, sage, salt, and pepper. Pulse on and off, or mash with a fork, until well blended.
- Shape mixture into 4 equal patties, about 1 inch thick each. Transfer patties to a plate, cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes (and up to 24 hours).
- Preheat broiler. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place burgers on prepared baking sheet and broil until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. (Note: To grill burgers on an outdoor grill and prevent them from falling through grate, first cover grill grates with foil and then poke some holes in foil to let out smoke.)
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream and horseradish. Mix until well blended.
- Serve each burger with 2 tablespoons of horseradish cream spooned on top.