- 2 small whole wheat pita(s)
- 1 cup(s) plain fat free yogurt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 30 oz chickpeas (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 2 large fresh tomato(es), ripe, diced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 large sweet red pepper(s), diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 large yellow pepper(s), diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup(s) shredded carrot(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) mint leaves, fresh, cut into slivers (or chopped)
- 8 leaf/leaves, large lettuce, green leaf-variety
- 1/4 cup(s) raisins
- 1/4 cup(s) sliced almonds, toasted
Preheat oven to 475°F. Cut each pita into 6 wedges and place on a baking sheet. Bake until “chips” are crisp, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, salt and cumin seeds until blended. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, scallions and mint; toss to mix and coat.
Line each of 4 plates with 2 lettuce leaves; top each with 2 cups of salad mixture and place 3 pita wedges on top. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon each of raisins and almonds; serve.
- You could easily substitute chopped cilantro or parsley for the mint if you prefer.