- 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder, powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 10 oz canned beets without added salt, drained and pureed*
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) plain fat free yogurt
- 1/4 cup(s) canola oil
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 2 drop(s) food coloring, red (optional)
- 2 oz Weight Watchers Reduced fat whipped cream cheese spread
- 1 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 24 cup mini-muffin pan with paper liners.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In another large bowl, beat together pureed beets, sugar, yogurt, oil, egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and food coloring (if using) until creamy and smooth.
Make a well in center of dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients; fold gently until just combined. Evenly spoon mixture into cupcake liners and bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Meanwhile, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract; spread glaze evenly across top of cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with zest (glaze will set in an hour or two). Yields 1 cupcake per serving.
- *You need 3/4 cup pureed beets for this recipe. You’ll need to start with about 10 ounces canned whole beets, about two-thirds of a 15 ounce can. Or puree the whole can and freeze the extra puree for another use. You can also puree beets that you’ve freshly roasted - you’ll need about 2 large or 4 to 5 small beets for this method of preparation.