Mexican Bean and Tortilla Pie
- 1 cup(s) canned tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free salsa
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 5 medium corn tortilla(s), 6-inches each
- 30 oz canned black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 8 oz chopped green chili(es), canned
- 1/2 cup(s) low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine tomato sauce, salsa, cilantro, chili powder and cumin in a small bowl.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add as many tortillas as will fit in one layer. Cook about 1 minute, turning once, until lightly toasted. Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of tomato sauce mixture over bottom of a 9-inch pie plate or other round, shallow baking dish. Top with a tortilla and 1/4 cup more sauce. Spread with 1/2 cup of mashed beans; top with 2 tablespoons of green chilies and 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients to form 3 more layers and then top with remaining tortilla, sauce and cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until heated through and sauce bubbles around edges, about 5 minutes more. Cut into 6 wedges and serve. Yields 1 wedge per serving.
Store leftovers for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.