- 4 item(s) matzo(s), unsalted, salted or egg varieties
- 1/3 cup(s) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped or shaved into tiny pieces
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil; cover foil with parchment paper. Arrange matzo on parchment in a single layer; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine butter and sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 3 minutes. Evenly drizzle butter mixture over matzo.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325ºF. Place cookie sheet on middle rack in oven for 15 minutes (check frequently to make sure it doesn’t burn). Remove matzo from oven; sprinkle with chocolate. Let it stand for about 5 minutes, then spread the chocolate over each sheet with a spatula that’s been coated with cooking spray.
- While still warm, cut each matzo into four even pieces; spread out in a single layer on pan, then place in freezer until chocolate sets, about 20 to 30 minutes. Yields 1 piece (1/4 of a sheet of matzo) per serving.
Vary the recipe by choosing salted matzo for a salted caramel taste or using egg matzo for a richer flavor. Add chopped nuts for an even more decadent treat (could affect SmartPoints value).