- 4 item(s) matzo(s), unsalted, salted or egg varieties
- 1/3 cup(s) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped or shaved into tiny pieces
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil; cover foil with parchment paper. Arrange matzo on parchment in a single layer; set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine butter and sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 3 minutes. Evenly drizzle butter mixture over matzo.
Reduce oven temperature to 325ºF. Place cookie sheet on middle rack in oven for 15 minutes (check frequently to make sure it doesn’t burn). Remove matzo from oven; sprinkle with chocolate. Let it stand for about 5 minutes, then spread the chocolate over each sheet with a spatula that’s been coated with cooking spray.
While still warm, cut each matzo into four even pieces; spread out in a single layer on pan, then place in freezer until chocolate sets, about 20 to 30 minutes. Yields 1 piece (1/4 of a sheet of matzo) per serving.
- Vary the recipe by choosing salted matzo for a salted caramel taste or using egg matzo for a richer flavor. Add chopped nuts for an even more decadent treat (could affect SmartPoints value).