- 1 1/2 cup(s) dry lentils, French-variety, picked over for debris
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper(s), diced
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 29 oz canned diced tomatoes, fire-roasted with chiles, undrained
- 31 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped
Place lentils in a large sauce pan and cover with water by several inches; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender but retain a little bite, about 10 to 15 minutes; drain well and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, pepper and garlic, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
In a cup, combine chili powder, oregano, cumin, cayenne and salt; add to skillet and stir well to combine. Cook, stirring often, about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and their juice, and beans to skillet; stir well to combine. Cover skillet and simmer so flavors can blend, about 5 to 10 minutes. Fold in lentils and cilantro; serve. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- *Could affect SmartPoints value.