- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt
- 3/4 cup(s) uncooked beets, peeled and finely grated
- 1 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 7 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 18 Tbsp sugar
- 2 large egg(s)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz low fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch table salt
Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a Bundt pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. In another medium bowl, mix together beets, buttermilk, lemon juice and lemon zest . In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Alternate adding flour and beet mixtures to creamed butter and sugar, using a mixer, until combined.
Spoon evenly into pan (batter will be thick — use spoon to level the top). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool completely before unmolding onto a serving platter.
Meanwhile to make glaze, in a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract and salt; drizzle evenly over top and sides of cooled cake. Slice into 16 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
- The cake can be made up to a day ahead. Keep it chilled and bring to room temperature before serving.For a pretty presentation, garnish with lemon slices.