6 item(s), optional
Uncooked jasmine rice
Extra virgin olive oil
Extra virgin olive oil
½ cup(s), yellow variety, sliced
2 cup(s), coarsely chopped, packed
Canned drained chickpeas
15 oz, rinsed and drained
1 cup(s), small florets
Uncooked butternut squash
1 cup(s), 1/4-inch cubes
1 medium clove(s)
2 tsp, finely chopped
1 pinch(es), optional
2 Tbsp, coarsely chopped (for garnish)
Golden seedless raisins
2 Tbsp, chopped
Plain fat free Greek yogurt
- Toast cardamom pods, cumin seeds, and coriander seeds in a small skillet over medium-low heat, shaking pan back and forth over heat occasionally, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes; transfer to a plate. Place 4 cardamom pods and half of cumin and coriander mixture in a small bowl; set aside for vegetables (the remaining 2 cardamom pods and seed are for rice).
- Rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear.
- In a medium saucepan with tight fitting lid, heat 1 tsp oil over medium heat; add rice. Stir in turmeric, cinnamon, and toasted cardamom and seeds reserved for rice; stir in 1/2 tsp salt and 1 1/3 c water. Bring rice mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove rice from heat (do not open lid); let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- To make vegetables, while rice is cooking, heat almonds in a small skillet over medium-low heat, shaking pan back and forth over heat frequently, until lightly golden, 4-5 minutes; remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once almonds are cool, coarsely crumble; set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat in a medium skillet with tight-fitting lid. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently until beginning to wilt, 2-3 minutes. Add kale, chickpeas, cauliflower, squash, garlic, ginger, 1/2 tsp salt, cayenne, and toasted cardamom and seeds reserved for vegetables; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add 3/4 c water; increase heat to high and cook, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender and water is mostly evaporated, about 1 minute more.
- Fluff rice with a fork and then add to skillet with vegetables; gently fold to combine and adjust seasonings to taste. Sprinkle with raisins, cilantro and crumbled almonds; serve warm with a dollop of yogurt.
- Serving size: 1 1/2 c rice mixture and 1/2 Tbsp yogurt