Lasagna with homemade sauce
- Total Time
olive oil1 Tbsp
uncooked onion(s)2 large, Spanish-variety, cut in half and thinly sliced
garlic clove(s)6 medium clove(s), finely chopped
plum tomato(es)56 oz, whole canned, diced, and juice reserved
canned tomato paste6 oz
basil⅓ cup(s), fresh, or 1 tablespoon dried
crushed red pepper flakes¼ tsp
table salt1 tsp
part-skim ricotta cheese1 ½ cup(s)
egg(s)2 large, beaten
fresh parsley¼ cup(s), fresh, chopped, lightly packed
grated Parmesan cheese4 Tbsp
uncooked lasagna noodles12 item(s), no-cook variety
whole milk mozzarella cheese½ pound(s), fresh recommended, shredded
- To make sauce, heat oil in Dutch oven or large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic. Add tomatoes and juice, tomato paste, basil, pepper flakes, and salt; stir to combine. Bring sauce to boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring and scraping bottom and sides of pot occasionally, until sauce reduces slightly and thickens, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat lasagna pan or 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In medium bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, parsley, and 3 tablespoons Parmesan; stir in about 1/3 cup tomato sauce so ricotta mixture turns pink.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup tomato sauce on bottom of prepared pan. Cover sauce with 4 lasagna noodles, breaking some noodles if necessary to form a single layer. Cover noodles with half of ricotta mixture and one-third of mozzarella; spoon one-third of remaining sauce over top. Add another layer of noodles and remainder of ricotta mixture; sprinkle with one-third of mozzarella and another one-third of sauce. Add final layer of noodles and cover with remaining sauce; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
- Cover pan with nonstick foil and bake until noodles are tender, cheese melts, and sauce begins to bubble, 45−50 minutes.Remove foil and bake until browned, 15−20 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let lasagna sit 15 minutes before cutting into 12 pieces. The saucy, bubbly lasagna can be assembled a day ahead.
- Serving size: 1 piece