Lasagna with homemade sauce
2 large, Spanish-variety, cut in half and thinly sliced
6 medium clove(s), finely chopped
56 oz, whole canned, diced, and juice reserved
canned tomato paste
⅓ cup(s), fresh, or 1 tablespoon dried
crushed red pepper flakes
part-skim ricotta cheese
2 large, beaten
¼ cup(s), fresh, chopped, lightly packed
grated Parmesan cheese
uncooked lasagna noodles
12 item(s), no-cook variety
whole milk mozzarella cheese
½ pound(s), fresh recommended, shredded
- To make sauce, heat oil in Dutch oven or large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic. Add tomatoes and juice, tomato paste, basil, pepper flakes, and salt; stir to combine. Bring sauce to boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring and scraping bottom and sides of pot occasionally, until sauce reduces slightly and thickens, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat lasagna pan or 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In medium bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, parsley, and 3 tablespoons Parmesan; stir in about 1/3 cup tomato sauce so ricotta mixture turns pink.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup tomato sauce on bottom of prepared pan. Cover sauce with 4 lasagna noodles, breaking some noodles if necessary to form a single layer. Cover noodles with half of ricotta mixture and one-third of mozzarella; spoon one-third of remaining sauce over top. Add another layer of noodles and remainder of ricotta mixture; sprinkle with one-third of mozzarella and another one-third of sauce. Add final layer of noodles and cover with remaining sauce; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
- Cover pan with nonstick foil and bake until noodles are tender, cheese melts, and sauce begins to bubble, 45−50 minutes. Remove foil and bake until browned, 15−20 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let lasagna sit 15 minutes before cutting into 12 pieces.
- Serving size: 1 piece