Korean beef stew
1 item(s), small size, cored and cut into chunks
1 item(s), halved
1 piece(s), 1 ( 1 1/2-inch) fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
4 medium clove(s), peeled
Ancho chile powder
2 tsp, or gochugaru
Uncooked lean trimmed boneless chuck steak
1 pound(s), or lean boneless beef short ribs, trimmed and cut into 8 (2-inch) chunks
Uncooked baby carrots
12 item(s), or baby-cut carrots (about 12 oz)
Uncooked bok choy
20 oz, 4 (5-ounce) baby variety, halved or quartered lengthwise
Unsalted toasted sesame seeds
- In blender, purée pear, shallot, ginger, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, and 1⁄4 cup water. Stir in 11⁄2 tsp gochugaru.
- On 6-quart Instant Pot, press Sauté and set cooking time for 15 minutes. When Hot is displayed, spray beef with nonstick spray and place in pot. Cook beef, turning, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add pear purée. Press Cancel to turn off pot. Lock lid, making sure vent is closed.
- Press Pressure Cook, select High Pressure, and set time for 35 minutes. When time is up, press Cancel to turn off pot. Move steam release valve to venting position to quickly release pressure. Remove lid. Add carrots to pot. Top with bok choy, cut-side up. Lock lid, making sure vent is closed.
- Press Pressure Cook, select High Pressure, and set time for 2 minutes. When time is up, press Cancel to turn off pot. Move steam release valve to venting position to quickly release pressure. Remove lid. Using tongs, transfer vegetables and beef to platter. Cover to keep warm.
- Skim fat from liquid in pot. In small cup, whisk cornstarch and 1 tbsp water; stir into pot. Press Sauté; set time for 10 minutes. Bring to boil; cook, uncovered, for about 1 minute. Press Cancel. Spoon sauce over beef and vegetables. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and remaining 1⁄2 tsp gochugaru.
- Per serving: 2 pieces beef, 2 pieces bok choy, 3 carrots, and 1⁄4 cup sauce