This soup is packed with fiber from tons of vegetables and barley. Fresh basil and Parmesan add a punch of great flavor.
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 large uncooked carrot(s), diced
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 3/4 cup(s) uncooked celery, diced
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) water
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked pearl barley
- 8 oz fresh mushroom(s), cremini, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 small uncooked zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup(s) basil, chopped
- 4 Tbsp shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrot, onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are light golden, about 5 minutes.
Stir in garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add broth, water and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil over high heat.
Add barley, mushrooms and pepper; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is almost tender, about 40 minutes.
Stir in zucchini; cover and cook until barley and zucchini are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Season to taste, if desired. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle each serving with 1/2 tablespoon cheese. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- This soup keeps very well. Refrigerate up to 5 days or freeze in airtight containers up to 3 months.