Vegetable barley soup
2 tsp, extra-virgin
1 large, diced
1 small, chopped
¾ cup(s), diced
reduced-sodium chicken broth
canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, undrained
uncooked pearl barley
8 oz, cremini, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
¼ tsp, freshly ground
1 small, diced
½ cup(s), chopped
shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrot, onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, water and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add barley, mushrooms and pepper; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is almost tender, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini; cover and cook until barley and zucchini are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Season to taste, if desired. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle each serving with 1/2 tablespoon cheese. Yields about 1 cup per serving.