Instant Pot salsa verde chicken soup by Palak Patel
1 large, quartered
8 medium, halved
4 medium, halved
2½ cup(s), chopped, divided
Canned chicken broth
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
½ cup(s), chopped
1 pinch, or to taste
1 pinch(es), or to taste
1 medium, juiced
- Place a rack in the middle oven position. Preheat broiler to high.
- Place onion, tomatillos, and jalapenos on a large baking sheet. Lightly coat with cooking spray and then broil until vegetables start to soften and blister, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make salsa verde, transfer broiled vegetables and all their juices into a blender container. Add 2 cups cilantro, garlic cloves, and ground cumin. Cover blender, blend until smooth, and set aside.
- Press Sauté on a 6-quart Instant Pot. When Hot is displayed, add oil. Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them cook for about 15 to 20 seconds until they start to sputter. Stir in minced garlic, saute for about 15 seconds, and then stir in reserved salsa verde, broth, chicken, and scallions.
- Lock lid, making sure the vent is closed. Press Pressure Cook, select High Pressure, and set cooking time for 10 minutes.
- When time is up, press Cancel to turn off pot. Move steam release valve to Venting position to quickly release pressure. Remove lid and using two forks, shred chicken. (If you prefer more liquid in your soup, add some extra broth and press Sauté for a few minutes.) Taste and add salt and pepper (optional).
- Just before serving, stir in lime juice. Serve sprinkled with cheese and garnished with remaining ½ cup cilantro.
- Serving size: about 1 ½ cups