Individual blueberry cobblers
4 cup(s), washed and picked over
Fresh lemon juice
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
Uncooked unenriched white cornmeal
2 Tbsp, granulated
5 Tbsp, cold
Fat free skim milk
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place two muffin liners in each of 12 muffin holes. (You can use 12 oven-proof custard cups, too.)
- In a medium bowl, toss blueberries with lemon juice, lemon zest, powdered sugar and cornstarch; mix well. Fill each muffin hole with 1/3 cup of blueberry mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut cold butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or back of a fork; work mixture into a coarse meal. Add milk and incorporate until just combined. Knead dough five or six times with your hand until dough just comes together.
- Roll dough into a ball on a flat work surface (lightly sprinkle surface with flour if dough feels sticky); divide dough into 12 even, smaller balls. To make round crusts, press down on each ball with palm of your hand or a spatula until it’s large enough to completely cover each cobbler; place flattened dough over prepared muffin holes.
- Bake until crust turns golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. Yields 1 cobbler per serving.