Indian Chicken With Spinach, Potatoes and Chickpeas
- 10 oz cooked potato(es) red or white, red, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 15 1/2 oz chickpeas (15 oz), rinsed and drained
- 10 oz fresh spinach, baby
- 1 tsp table salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 8 oz low fat plain yogurt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), four 4 oz cutlets
- In a large pot, cook potatoes in water until tender, about 15 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In same pot, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until garlic begins to brown, about 1 minute. Add chickpeas; cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Add spinach; cook, stirring, until almost wilted, about 2 minutes. Add back potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Stir. Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine cumin, zest, remaining salt, coriander, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon oil. Rub over cutlets.
- In a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil. Cook cutlets, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Yields 1 chicken cutlet and about 3/4 cup potato mixture per serving.
To make this dish even faster, use cubed, parboiled potatoes — with or without onions — found in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores.