- 4 medium portobello mushroom(s), caps, stems removed, wiped clean with a damp paper towel
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cup(s) roasted red peppers (packed in water), water-packed, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic, about 1 small clove
- 1 Tbsp basil, fresh, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 oz parmesan cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano suggested, thinly sliced*
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Place mushrooms on a baking sheet and rub underside of each with 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar; lightly coat with cooking spray.
Place mushrooms on grill, underside down and cook, covered, about 4 to 5 minutes. Uncover, flip mushrooms with tongs and then cook for 4 to 5 minutes more; remove to a plate to cool.
Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine red pepper, garlic, basil, oil, salt and pepper.
Cut cooled mushrooms into quarters; top each quarter with about 2 tablespoons of red pepper and a few pieces of cheese. Yields 4 quarters per serving.
- *Use a microplane to cut paper-thin slices of cheese.