Grilled Flank Steak and Pepper Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayo
- Total Time
Seasoned steak, peppers and onions are grilled (indoors or out) and piled on buns with juicy tomatoes and a smoky-spicy mayo.
cooking spray3 spray(s)
uncooked lean flank steak12 oz
yellow pepper(s)1 large, quartered, cored
uncooked red onion(s)1 small, sliced into 4 thick rounds
table salt¾ tsp
dried oregano¾ tsp
ground cumin½ tsp
light mayonnaise2 Tbsp
canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce1 Tbsp, minced (or to taste)
cilantro1 Tbsp, chopped
fresh tomato(es)1 small, beefsteak or heirloom, cut into 8 slices
light hamburger roll(s) or bun(s)4 item(s), toasted
- Off heat, coat an outdoor grill or large stove-top grill pan with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat.
- Place steak, pepper and onion in a bowl; coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt, oregano and cumin.
- Grill, turning once, until steak is desired degree of doneness (145°F for medium-rare) and vegetables are lightly charred and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove steak to cutting board and let stand 5 minutes before slicing thinly against grain.
- Meanwhile, in a small cup, combine mayonnaise, chile in adobo and cilantro. Slice pepper into thin strips and separate onion into rings.
- To assemble each sandwich, spread each bun bottom with about 1 teaspoon chipotle mayonnaise; top each with 1/4 of steak, peppers and onions, 2 slices tomato and a bun top. Yields 1 sandwich per serving.