Seasoned steak, peppers and onions are grilled (indoors or out) and piled on buns with juicy tomatoes and a smoky-spicy mayo.
- 3 spray(s) cooking spray
- 12 oz uncooked lean flank steak
- 1 large yellow pepper(s), quartered, cored
- 1 small uncooked red onion(s), sliced into 4 thick rounds
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 small fresh tomato(es), beefsteak or heirloom, cut into 8 slices
- 4 item(s) light hamburger roll(s) or bun(s), toasted
Off heat, coat an outdoor grill or large stove-top grill pan with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat.
Place steak, pepper and onion in a bowl; coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt, oregano and cumin.
Grill, turning once, until steak is desired degree of doneness (145°F for medium-rare) and vegetables are lightly charred and tender, about 10 minutes.
Remove steak to cutting board and let stand 5 minutes before slicing thinly against grain.
Meanwhile, in a small cup, combine mayonnaise, chile in adobo and cilantro. Slice pepper into thin strips and separate onion into rings.
To assemble each sandwich, spread each bun bottom with about 1 teaspoon chipotle mayonnaise; top each with 1/4 of steak, peppers and onions, 2 slices tomato and a bun top. Yields 1 sandwich per serving.