This fresh fruit salsa is fantastic – double the quantity and use extra for a dip.
- 3 large nectarine(s), finely diced (1 1/2 lb)
- 1/2 cup(s) fennel, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped fresh
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp uncooked shallot(s), minced
- 1/2 average serrano chile(s), seeded, minced
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
Combine nectarines through 1/2 tsp salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
Set a small skillet over medium heat; add cumin and toast, stirring, until fragrant, 3–4 minutes. Allow cumin to cool; transfer cumin to a small zip-close plastic bag. Pound cumin with bottom of a heavy saucepan or rolling pin until finely crushed. Combine cumin, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl; add chicken and toss to coat. Divide chicken among 8 long metal skewers.
Off heat, coat a grill with cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Grill kebabs, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 6–7 minutes.
Serving size: 1 kebab and 1/3 c salsa
- Try this recipe with a mixture of plums and nectarines for an extra colorful salsa. Thread the chicken on the skewers so there’s a little bit of space between each chunk. That will allow the heat to circulate around the kebabs so the chicken will cook evenly.If you don’t have or want to toast and smash cumin seeds, swap 2 tsp ground cumin in its place.