Garlicky Shrimp with Broccoli and Toasted Breadcrumbs
- Total Time
Toasted Japanese breadcrumbs make an unusual but excellent topping for this dish. Also try the breadcrumbs on pasta, in place of grated cheese.
uncooked broccoli3 cup(s), small florets
olive oil1 Tbsp, extra-virgin, divided
panko breadcrumbs⅓ cup(s)
lemon zest½ tsp
table salt¼ tsp, divided
uncooked shrimp1 pound(s), large, peeled, deveined
garlic clove(s)3 clove(s), large, sliced
canned chicken broth⅓ cup(s)
crushed red pepper flakes⅛ tsp
fresh lemon juice1 Tbsp
- Put broccoli and water in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain well; set aside (be cautious when uncovering bowl).
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring often, until lightly toasted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape toasted crumbs into a bowl; stir in lemon zest and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat; add shrimp and sauté until shrimp turn pink, about 2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté until very light golden, about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, pepper flakes and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring to loosen bits from bottom of pan, just until shrimp is cooked through, about 1 minute.
- Remove skillet from heat and add cooked broccoli; toss to mix and coat. Drizzle with lemon juice and remaining teaspoon oil; toss again. Serve shrimp and broccoli sprinkled with toasted breadcrumbs. Yields about 3/4 cup shrimp with broccoli and 4 teaspoon breadcrumbs per serving.