Toasted Japanese breadcrumbs make an unusual but excellent topping for this dish. Also try the breadcrumbs on pasta, in place of grated cheese.
- 3 cup(s) uncooked broccoli, small florets
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin, divided
- 1/3 cup(s) panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp table salt, divided
- 1 pound(s) uncooked shrimp, large, peeled, deveined
- 3 clove(s), large garlic clove(s), sliced
- 1/3 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Put broccoli and water in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain well; set aside (be cautious when uncovering bowl).
Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring often, until lightly toasted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape toasted crumbs into a bowl; stir in lemon zest and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat; add shrimp and sauté until shrimp turn pink, about 2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté until very light golden, about 1 minute.
Stir in broth, pepper flakes and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring to loosen bits from bottom of pan, just until shrimp is cooked through, about 1 minute.
Remove skillet from heat and add cooked broccoli; toss to mix and coat. Drizzle with lemon juice and remaining teaspoon oil; toss again. Serve shrimp and broccoli sprinkled with toasted breadcrumbs. Yields about 3/4 cup shrimp with broccoli and 4 teaspoon breadcrumbs per serving.
- This can also be made with broccoli rabe instead of broccoli.