Frosted Carrot Cake
- 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup(s) whole-grain wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 large egg(s)
- 2 large egg white(s)
- 3/4 cup(s) honey
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s), grated
- 3 oz low fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Lightly coat the bottom of an 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line with wax paper and lightly coat paper with spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs, honey, oil and lemon juice until blended. Stir flour mixture and carrots into egg mixture just until well blended.
- Spread batter into a prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn out of pan and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. Spread a thin layer over cooled cake and serve.