Fresh cherry strudel
Low fat cream cheese
8 oz, at room temperature
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
1 large egg(s)
Freshly grated nutmeg
2 cup(s), pitted
7 sheet(s), (13- X 18-in; 7 oz total)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg, lemon zest, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- Lay 1 sheet phyllo on prepared baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp granulated sugar. Continue layering with remaining 6 sheets of phyllo (skipping cooking spray and sugar on the last sheet).
- Spread cheese mixture evenly across phyllo stack, leaving a 2 inch border; scatter cherries evenly across top. Using parchment paper to assist, roll phyllo layers over cheese and cherries jelly-roll style; gently flip strudel over so seam is on bottom. Lightly spray top of strudel with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp sugar.
- Bake until phyllo is golden, 15-20 minutes; remove from oven and let cool slightly before slicing into 12 pieces.
- Serving size: 1 slice