Five-Ingredient Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup(s) unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 7 slice(s) canned pineapple rings in juice, reserve 1/4 cup juice*
- 1/4 pound(s) unprepared vanilla cake mix, about 1 scant cup
- 1 large egg(s)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 9-inch round, flameproof, aluminum pan over medium-low heat (make sure to cover entire pan bottom); sprinkle sugar over top. Carefully place pineapple rings in a single layer in bottom of pan. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until pineapple caramelizes, flipping once, about 2 minutes per side; remove pan from heat.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter on stove top or in microwave. In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat egg with melted butter. Add cake mix and reserved pineapple juice; combine well.
- Pour batter over pineapple; bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Allow cake to cool for about 15 to 20 minutes; when still warm, loosen sides with a knife and invert cake onto a serving plate. Slice into 10 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.
*Use 7 pineapple rings.