Fall Fruit Compote
- 3 medium pear(s), peeled, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium fresh apple(s), peeled, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup(s) dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large orange(s), Navel variety
- 1 tsp ginger root, peeled, grated
- Combine pears, apples, water, orange juice, cranberries, and cinnamon in medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until fruit is just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate zest from orange and place in small bowl. With sharp knife, peel orange, removing all white pith. Working over same bowl, cut between membranes to release segments into bowl. Using 2 forks, break segments into small pieces
- Remove pear mixture from heat. Stir in orange mixture and ginger. Transfer to bowl to cool slightly. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Compote may be refrigerated up to 1 week.
- Serving size: 1/2 cup