Espresso-glazed chocolate brownies
Whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp, boiling
Unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbsp, Dutch-process variety
1 oz, or bittersweet variety
Packed light brown sugar
1 large egg(s), beaten
¼ cup(s), (optional)
Fat free skim milk
¾ tsp, heated
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; set aside. Stir together the boiling water and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the espresso powder in a cup until the espresso is completely dissolved. Whisk together the cocoa, hot espresso mixture, and vanilla in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put the chocolate in a small microwavable bowl and microwave on High until melted, about 40 seconds. Whisk in the oil until smooth. Whisk in the brown sugar until combined. Whisk the chocolate mixture into the cocoa mixture; whisk in the beaten egg until combined. Add the flour mixture and walnuts (if using) and stir just until blended.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging, 9 – 10 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a rack.
- To make the glaze, stir together the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon of espresso powder and the hot milk in a cup until the espresso is completely dissolved. Add the confectioners’ sugar and stir until the mixture forms a smooth paste. Using a spoon, drizzle the glaze over the brownies. Cut into 12 bars. Yields 1 brownie per serving.