Eric Greenspan's butternut mac & cheese with roasted shallots and cauliflower
Uncooked butternut squash
16 oz, cubed, about 4 cups
Crumbled feta cheese
Plain fat free Greek yogurt
½ tsp, smoked variety
8 item(s), thinly sliced, about 2 cups
6 cup(s), cut into small pieces
Uncooked orecchiette pasta
Light cheddar cheese
½ cup(s), shredded
Grated Pecorino cheese
1 tsp, melted
- To make cheese sauce, boil butternut squash until tender, about 10-12 minutes; drain and place in a food processor or large blender. Add feta, yogurt, salt, and paprika; process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place shallots on a sheet pan; coat with cooking spray. Roast until tender and caramelized, stirring a few times, about 15 -20 minutes.
- Boil cauliflower until tender, about 8-10 minutes; drain.
- Boil pasta according to package directions; drain.
- To make topping, combine panko, pecorino, melted butter, sage, and thyme in a small bowl; set aside.
- To assemble mac and cheese, combine pasta, cauliflower, cheese sauce, cheddar cheese, and shallots in a 2 quart casserole dish; stir to combine. Sprinkle with panko mixture; heat through, about 15 minutes.
- Serving size: about 1 1/3 cups