- 6 cup(s) strawberries, fresh, halved
- 1 cup(s) raspberries, fresh
- 1 cup(s) grapes, seedless, halved
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 10 oz prepared angel food cake, fat-free, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup(s) apricot preserves
- 16 oz fat free whipped topping, nondairy
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped walnuts, coarsely
- Combine the strawberries, raspberries, grapes, and sugar in a bowl; let stand 15 minutes.
- Line the bottom of a 12-cup trifle dish or glass bowl with one-third of the cake slices. Brush the cake with 1/3 cup of the apricot preserves. Top with one-third of the fruit mixture (about 2 cups), then one-third of the whipped topping (about 2 cups). Repeat the layering twice more with the remaining ingredients, ending with the whipped topping.
- Cover the trifle with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the cake absorbs the juices, at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours. Sprinkle with the nuts just before serving. Yields 1/16 of trifle, about 2/3 cup per serving.
If you use a bowl that slopes outward rather than a straight-sided trifle bowl, you’ll find the layers need to be spread thinner near the top. Trifle originated in England and traditionally is made with either ladyfingers or sponge cake.