Eggs baked with spring peas and chorizo
Extra virgin olive oil
5 tsp, divided
½ medium, white variety, finely diced
3 medium clove(s), thinly sliced
1 leaf/leaves, notches torn every 1/2 inch
½ tsp, smoked variety
Canned tomato sauce
6 oz, diced
2 cup(s), fresh, spring variety
½ tsp, or to taste
4 large egg(s)
¼ cup(s), chopped
Fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp, or to taste
1 pinch(es), or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and swirl to coat bottom of pan; add onion, garlic, bay leaf, and smoked paprika. Cook, stirring, until onion is tender but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and 1 tsp oil; cook, stirring and scraping down sides of pan, 4 minutes (the mixture should be sizzling steadily). Stir in chorizo and 1 tsp oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in peas and season with salt; discard bay leaf.
- Make four little nests (indentations) for eggs in mixture, spacing them at least an inch apart. Carefully break an egg into each nest, making sure each one is nestled in the stew.
- Bake until egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 8 minutes. Top with parsley and season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper (to taste). Serve immediately.
- Serving size: 1 egg and 3/4 cup veggie mixture