Eggs Baked with Spring Peas and Chorizo
- Total Time
This recipe, originally created by Chef George Mendes, has been modified for WW with permission.
extra virgin olive oil5 tsp, divided
uncooked onion(s)½ medium, white variety, finely diced
garlic clove(s)3 medium clove(s), thinly sliced
bay leaf1 leaf/leaves, notches torn every 1/2 inch
paprika½ tsp, smoked variety
canned tomato sauce3 Tbsp
chicken chorizo6 oz, diced
uncooked peas2 cup(s), fresh, spring variety
kosher salt½ tsp, or to taste
fresh parsley¼ cup(s), chopped
fresh lemon juice1 Tbsp, or to taste
black pepper1 pinch, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp oil and swirl to coat bottom of pan; add onion, garlic, bay leaf, and smoked paprika. Cook, stirring, until onion is tender but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and 1 tsp oil; cook, stirring and scraping down sides of pan, 4 minutes (the mixture should be sizzling steadily). Stir in chorizo and 1 tsp oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in peas and season with salt; discard bay leaf.
- Make four little nests (indentations) for eggs in mixture, spacing them at least an inch apart. Carefully break an egg into each nest, making sure each one is nestled in the stew.
- Bake until egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 8 minutes. Top with parsley and season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper (to taste). Serve immediately.
- Serving size: 1 egg and 3/4 c veggie mixture