- 1 pound(s) uncooked eggplant(s), unpeeled, diced
- 2 tsp table salt
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), diced
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 medium fresh tomato(es), very ripe, seeded and diced
- 3 Tbsp vinegar, sherry-flavored
- 3 Tbsp capers, chopped if large
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of salt. Toss and set aside for 10 minutes; rinse and drain.
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add onion and cook slowly over low-medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, sugar, eggplant and tomatoes; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is very soft, about 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Stir in vinegar, capers and parsley; season to taste and serve. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.