Easy Chile Rellenos Casserole
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canned chipotle pepper(s), drained, chopped
- 6 3/4 oz canned green chili peppers, mild, diced, drained
- 3 oz low fat cheddar or colby cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup(s) reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup(s) regular liquid egg substitute
- 3/4 cup(s) light sour cream
- 2 medium plum tomato(es), seeded and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8-inch square pan and a medium skillet with cooking spray.
- Place oil in skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in peppers and chilies and cook about 1 minute more. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared pan; sprinkle with cheeses
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg substitute and sour cream; pour evenly over cheeses and sprinkle with tomatoes.
- Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces and serve.
- Flavor Booster: Tart-tasting green tomatillo salsa makes a refreshing topping for the casserole. You’ll find tomatillo salsa in ethnic sections of supermarkets and gourmet food stores.