- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 4 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp ginger root, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 6 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 pound(s) uncooked sweet potato(es), peeled, chopped (about 5 medium)
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice, optional
- 8 tsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
Heat oil in a large nonstick pot over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook, stirring often, until onion has softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder and garam masala; stir and cook for 1 minute.
Add broth and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until potato is soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender and puree in batches). Stir in lime juice (if using) and serve each bowl garnished with cilantro. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- This recipe would be equally delicious made with cubed butternut squash.