Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 pound(s) uncooked butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium uncooked onion(s), peeled and quartered
- 29 oz canned chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) fat free sour cream
- 1 medium uncooked scallion(s), thinly sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place squash and onion in a large baking dish. Pour in chicken broth and bake, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. (Don't worry if some of the pieces get a bit browned — this will add to the roasted flavor of the soup.)
- Remove from oven and let vegetables cool for about 15 minutes; puree in batches in a blender or food processor.
- In a small skillet, toast curry powder over low heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes (be careful not to burn it); stir into pureed soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper; garnish with sour cream and scallions. Yields about 3/4 cup of soup and 2 teaspoons of sour cream per serving.