Curried barley with apricots
Uncooked pearl barley
3 tsp, Madras
1 cup(s), (about 4 large), sliced
Shelled pistachio nuts
¼ cup(s), chopped
Dried apricot halves
⅛ cup(s), (3 Tbsp), chopped
Olive oil cooking spray
- Spray large heavy saucepan with olive oil nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add barley and 2 teaspoons curry powder and cook, stirring, until barley is lightly toasted and mixture is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add water and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender, about 35 minutes. Drain off any excess water and transfer barley to serving bowl. (No need to keep warm.)
- Heat oil in same saucepan over medium heat. Add scallions and remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until scallions are tender and mixture is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add scallion mixture, pistachios, and apricots to barley. Stir until mixed well.
- Per serving (about 2/3 cup)