Crispy Onion Rings
- 3 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 cup(s) cornflake crumbs
- 1 large egg white(s)
- 1/3 cup(s) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), yellow, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, separated into rings
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread cornflake crumbs on a large plate. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk together egg white, milk, flour, onion powder, salt and cayenne pepper until blended.
- In batches, dip onion rings in egg mixture (letting excess drip off) and then dredge in cornflake crumbs, turning to coat both sides; place in a single layer on prepared pan.
- Coat onion rings with cooking spray and bake, turning once, until onion rings are golden brown, about 12 minutes; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper before serving, if desired. Yields about 8 onion rings per serving.
If you don't have a baking pan large enough to hold the onion rings in a single layer, simply use 2 pans and switch their positions in the oven after you turn the onions rings.