Creamy chicken and corn chowder
Canned chicken broth
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
½ pound(s), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 medium, (white and light green parts only), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 medium, or yellow bell pepper, diced
¾ pound(s), red-skinned variety, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 sprig(s), plus whole thyme leaves, for garnish
Frozen corn kernels
2 cup(s), thawed
Plain lowfat Greek yogurt
Red pepper flakes
¼ tsp, or to taste
- 1 Add broth to medium saucepan and bring to boil over high heat.
- 2 Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Add chicken to saucepan and cook, stirring often, until chicken is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- 3 Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to same large saucepan. Add leek, bell pepper, potatoes, and thyme sprigs and cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- 4 Add hot broth to saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are almost tender, about 7 minutes. Add corn and chicken to saucepan and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes; remove from heat. Discard thyme sprigs. Stir in yogurt. (For a thicker soup, use a potato masher to mash some of the potatoes.)
- 5 Divide soup among 4 bowls and sprinkle with pepper flakes and thyme leaves.
- Serving size: 1 1/2 cups