Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 2 large uncooked onion(s), sliced
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), chopped
- 1 3/4 pound(s) corned beef brisket, lean, trimmed of all visible fat
- 3 medium uncooked carrot(s), cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 medium uncooked potato(es), all-purpose, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound(s) cooked green cabbage, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 1/4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Place the onions and garlic in a slow cooker. Place the corned beef on top of the onions. Arrange the carrots and potatoes around the meat. Place cabbage wedges on top of vegetables. Pour the broth over and around the vegetables. Cover and cook until the meat and vegetables are fork-tender, 4–5 hours on high or 8–10 hours on low.
- Transfer the corned beef to a platter and cut into slices. With a slotted spoon, lift the vegetables from the broth and place around the meat. Yields 1/8 of dinner per serving.
A tablespoon, or two, of mustard should be enough to accompany this amount of food. For the tamer palate, serve a prepared mustard such as Dijon. To save precious time in the morning, assemble all the ingredients in the insert of the slow cooker the night before and refrigerate. In the morning, you’ll only need pop the insert into the slow cooker and plug it in.