- 2 spray(s) cooking spray, divided
- 1 slice(s) uncooked bacon, finely diced
- 2/3 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), diced
- 2/3 cup(s) sweet red pepper(s), diced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 14 3/4 oz canned cream style white corn
- 3 medium yellow corn on the cob, kernels removed* (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup(s) regular liquid egg substitute
- 3/4 cup(s) low-fat Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3/4 item(s), small seasoned croutons, whole-grain, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 2-quart shallow baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Pour off and discard drippings from skillet.
- Add onion to skillet. Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl and let cool 5 minutes. Stir in bacon, canned corn, fresh corn, egg substitute, cheese, salt and ground pepper. Spread corn mixture in baking dish. Top evenly with croutons and lightly spray croutons with cooking spray. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden and center is set, about 15 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
*To remove the corn kernels from the cobs, cut off the ends of each cob. Stand the cob on its end, holding it near the top. Hold a knife parallel to the cob and cut off the kernels using a sawing motion.