Cod in grape leaves with lemon, olives and dill
16 oz, (1 jar) 24 items
Uncooked Atlantic cod
16 oz, (4 4 oz pieces, 1 3/4 inch thick)
½ tsp, divided
¼ tsp, freshly ground, divided
½ cup(s), coarsely chopped
Small canned black ripe olive(s)
5⅓ Tbsp, pitted, coarsely chopped
1 tsp, (reserved for drizzling over cooked fish)
4 cup(s), shredded, torn hearts of Romaine
⅓ cup(s), coarsely chopped
Crumbled feta cheese
Fresh lemon juice
Extra virgin olive oil
⅛ tsp, (or to taste)
1 pinch(es), freshly ground, (or to taste)
1 pinch(es), (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF with rack in middle of oven. Coat a 9- X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut lemon into 8 very thin slices; remove and discard seeds. Rinse and drain grape leaves.
- Overlap 6 grape leaves on a large cutting board to form a roughly 8 x 8-inch square (leaves should be damp but not dripping with water; don't leave gaps between leaves.)
- Place two lemon slices in center of each leaf square, slightly overlapping. Season a piece cod all over with heaping 1/8 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper; place on top of lemons. Sprinkle cod with 2 Tbsp dill and heaping Tbsp olives. Fold bottom of leaf square over fish and then fold in sides like an envelope to enclose fish; fold top of leaves over fish, forming a packet.
- Place wrapped fish in prepared baking dish, seam side down; repeat with remaining fish ingredients to make four packets. Bake fish until opaque and cooked through, 16-18 minutes for 1 3/4-inch-thick fillets.
- To make salad, while fish is cooking, toss romaine with feta and dill in a medium bowl; set aside. Combine lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper and oregano in cup; set aside.
- Invert cooked fish packets onto serving plates; open carefully (packets will be steamy!); drizzle each piece of fish with 1/4 tsp oil and lemon juice, and season to taste, if desired. (Grape leaves used in this recipe are not meant to be eaten). Toss salad with dressing; serve with fish.
- Serving size: 4 oz fish and 1 c salad