- 1 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 Tbsp yeast, about 1 package
- 2 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour, sifted, divided
- 1/4 cup(s) unpacked brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) dark corn syrup
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp orange zest, grated
- 1/4 cup(s) raisins, dried cherries or cranberries
- Stir together milk, vegetable oil, sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Heat to lukewarm. Pour yeast over 2 tablespoons lukewarm water and let sit 5 minutes. Stir into milk mixture.
- Transfer warm milk to a large mixing bowl and beat in half the flour by hand or with an electric mixer. Mix in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Let rest 10 minutes; knead well on a floured board or with an electric mixer and dough hook; let rest 10 minutes.
- Spray a large, clean bowl with cooking spray, add dough, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch (23 cm) round baking pan with cooking spray. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll into a 12 x 10-inch (30 x 25 cm) rectangle. Spray with cooking spray.
- Stir together brown sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange zest; brush over dough. Sprinkle with raisins. Roll up tightly, like a jelly roll. Cut into 12 pieces.
- Place buns cut-side up in baking pan. Cover with plastic and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake buns until firm and nicely browned on top, 30 minutes. Cool completely before inverting onto a serving plate.