- 2 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) sugar, granulated
- 1 cup(s) packed brown sugar, light
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder, or sweetened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1/2 cup(s) canola oil
- 4 large egg(s)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup(s) uncooked zucchini, grated
- 1/8 tsp powdered sugar, (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray, then sprinkle lightly with flour.
Combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
Combine the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a medium bowl; whisk until blended. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until all of the flour is just moistened.
Stir in the zucchini just until blended. Pour the mixture into the baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35–40 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on the rack 30 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if using. Cut into 24 squares. Yields 1 square per serving.
- To enjoy zucchini cake long after summer has passed, wrap individual squares in foil, place in a zip-close freezer bag (remember to label the bag), and freeze for up to six months. It is also a great way to add moisture to a cake while cutting back on the amount of fat used. Try this chocolate version for a real treat.