Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 2 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) sugar, granulated
- 1 cup(s) packed brown sugar, light
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder, or sweetened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1/2 cup(s) canola oil
- 4 large egg(s)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup(s) uncooked zucchini, grated
- 1/8 tsp powdered sugar, (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray, then sprinkle lightly with flour.
- Combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a medium bowl; whisk until blended. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until all of the flour is just moistened.
- Stir in the zucchini just until blended. Pour the mixture into the baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35–40 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on the rack 30 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if using. Cut into 24 squares. Yields 1 square per serving.
To enjoy zucchini cake long after summer has passed, wrap individual squares in foil, place in a zip-close freezer bag (remember to label the bag), and freeze for up to six months. It is also a great way to add moisture to a cake while cutting back on the amount of fat used. Try this chocolate version for a real treat.