Chocolate Halloween Cupcakes
- Total Time
We topped these marshmallow-frosted cupcakes with a spooky web and plastic spiders for some sweet Halloween fun.
cooking spray2 spray(s)
all-purpose flour2 ½ cup(s)
SPLENDA® Sweetener, no calorie, packets2 cup(s)
unsweetened cocoa powder1 cup(s)
baking soda1 tsp
table salt1 tsp
regular liquid egg substitute1 cup(s)
light corn syrup1 cup(s)
sugar1 ½ cup(s)
egg white(s)2 large
table salt½ tsp
light corn syrup1 Tbsp
vanilla extract1 tsp
decorating icing4 tsp, orange
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat two 12-hole muffin tins with cooking spray and line with cupcake wrappers.*
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Splenda, cocoa, cornstarch, baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg substitute, 2 cups of water and 1 cup of light corn syrup.
- Spoon egg mixture into flour mixture and mix until completely smooth and incorporated.
- Pour batter into muffin tins until each hole is completely full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- While cupcakes cool, make frosting: Heat a medium pot of water to boiling.
- In a medium metal or glass bowl, beat sugar, 1/2 cup of water, egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of corn syrup and vanilla extract with an electric mixer on high speed for 1 minute.
- Place bowl of frosting over rapidly boiling water (you are creating a double boiler) and beat at high speed until the mixture forms soft peaks, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove frosting from heat and beat on high speed until mixture is thick enough to spread, about 5 minutes. Frost cupcakes, create a spider web-like design on each with icing and decorate as desired. Yields 1 cupcake per serving.