Chocolate Halloween Cupcakes
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) SPLENDA® Sucralose sweetener (Splenda®)
- 1 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup(s) cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 cup(s) regular liquid egg substitute
- 2 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 2 large egg white(s)
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp decorating icing, orange
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat two 12-hole muffin tins with cooking spray and line with cupcake wrappers.*
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Splenda, cocoa, cornstarch, baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg substitute, 2 cups of water and 1 cup of light corn syrup.
- Spoon egg mixture into flour mixture and mix until completely smooth and incorporated.
- Pour batter into muffin tins until each hole is completely full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- While cupcakes cool, make frosting: Heat a medium pot of water to boiling.
- In a medium metal or glass bowl, beat sugar, 1/2 cup of water, egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of corn syrup and vanilla extract with an electric mixer on high speed for 1 minute.
- Place bowl of frosting over rapidly boiling water (you are creating a double boiler) and beat at high speed until the mixture forms soft peaks, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove frosting from heat and beat on high speed until mixture is thick enough to spread, about 5 minutes. Frost cupcakes, create a spider web-like design on each with icing and decorate as desired. Yields 1 cupcake per serving.
*We use both cooking spray and muffin wrappers to prevent any batter from sticking to the top of the pan. Alternatively, use nonstick pans.